24 April 2019

miniGLOG

There were several posts about various GLOG hacks lately and it prompted me to finally do something with my personal GLOG, too. This is less of a hack and more of a compilation of GLOG rules into as compact form as possible. At two pages in length, miniGLOG can be read by the players in a minute and provides a quick reference for all the basic rules.



A table of races, backgrounds and classes is not provided for now, but you all have your own anyway. A table of bonus Perks is coming soonTM, but in the meantime you could use this.

From here.

There are, of course, places where I strayed from vanilla GLOG, but two differences are the most glaring:

Attributes
I always had a little bit of a problem with the mental attributes of D&D, or specifically with Intelligence and Wisdom. Charisma was saved by the grace of tying luck to it (the implications are just great, I like Charisma now), but Intelligence score on a character sheet just restricts the players too much as they try to conform their play to the supposed cleverness of their character, and Wisdom makes no sense at all, mashing together common sense, willpower and perception. Tradition does not justify them in my eyes.

Therefore, I replaced Intelligence with Acumen, which covers your quick wits and perception, working basically as mental Dexterity, and Wisdom with Will, which is mental Constitution, representing determination and sanity. Players will hopefully no longer feel the need to act stupid if they roll low mental stats, and I feel better.

Dexterity was nerfed a bit, too. It had way too many uses and bonuses.

Saves and Checks
I dislike separate Save score. Instead I stole scaled attribute checks from EMO, so Saves and checks are equal and you always roll under an appropriate attribute, with Charisma representing pure luck rolls. The conundrum of skills is thus also resolved, making them a binary bonus in the check scaling. Simple, flexible, easy, nice.

Most derived stats are gone, actually. I see no need for Stealth stat when I can call for an easy or hard Dexterity check, based on circumstances. The same goes for Movement and Initiative. Bonuses to a specific Save or check still work normally, becoming an ability on your sheet.

Oh, and my memory slot rule is incorporated, so skills will take up some space.

No comments:

Post a Comment